Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Queen of Hypocrites

I have sent the briefest letter to Herr Hofmann, despite my resolve not to write a single word.
Dear Jakob,
Thank you for your kind thoughts on my condition. The country here is not very cheerful and there have been a few deaths over winter, what with the damp air and the loneliness and the isolation from everything that is lively and familiar. The population is of course small, though no doubt I am trying to increase it. I wish you great happiness in your travels and remain your friend,
Maria Anna Walburga Ignatia Mozart Von Sonnenburg.
His reply, which I received this morning:
My Dear Maria Anna,
There can be no reservations in my devotion to you and if it is a great risk to say such a thing in a letter, then I take that risk willingly. When I am no longer wandering between upper and lower Silesia and have wiped the dust off my violin, I will come to Saint Gilgen for a soiree of Madame Sonnenburg and to admire her entire family.
I am meanwhile, your most obliged friend,
Jakob

Bah! Too late, N.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home