Sunday, November 06, 2005

When I Am Alone

When I am alone in our apartment in Hannibal Platz and not practicing the art of fugue or any studies dreamed up for me to play by my dear Papa, I sometimes attend to my toilet.
If I feel an itch, I nitpick with the fine bone comb left behind by the nitpicker when last he called. I crumble lavender on my hair and wig like a bride on her wedding day. I make sure there is nothing scurrying away under the petals on my head before replacing my comb with a sponge dipped in lemon curd. I squeeze the juices onto my hands so that my skin feels softened and I can smell the tang of lemon mixed with lavender and lick the taste from around my lips with the point of my tongue.
I wash the other parts of my body, being careful not to wet my petticoats with my sponge and afterwards when I am dry, I pick the black out of my fingernails with Jack Pudding’s ivory toothpick. I rinse my mouth with rose water before plucking three hairs from a mole underneath my chin. It is tricky to do between the first finger and the thumb but no more so than a trill on the new fortepiano. That is the extent of my toilet. N.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tatiana said...

Rep. Christopher Shays stirred up a hornet's nest of protest in cyberspace last week.
The champion of clean campaigns wants to make it clear that the Internet should fall under the 2002 Bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform law.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to georgia highway construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like georgia highway construction!

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home